The Defining Issue of our Time
Being human means releasing planet-warming carbon emissions into the atmosphere. It happens when we take a shower, charge our phones, or let out a yawn after a long day. Just like humans release carbon pollution, so do businesses - and Saffron Pawtique is no exception.
Everyday in the U.S. alone, ecommerce packages travel about the same distance as going to the moon and back 133,000 times. And, although we try and source ethical pet products, we still have to think about how our suppliers transporting materials, manufacture their products and transporting the products to us. We are lucky that compared to some companies, most of our goods are keeping their carbon footprint very low. However we can make sure we do a little bit more to support being as carbon neutral as possible.
We’re on a Mission
As Saffron Pawtique continues to grow, we have an increasing responsibility to commit additional resources toward our values in order to maximize the positive impact of our products. At Saffron Pawtique, we have long held the conviction that we can be both a great business and have a great ethical ethos. In fact, we believe we cannot be one without the other. It is cemented in our DNA because we believe deeply in making the world a better place.
What Saffron Pawtique is Doing
The climate crisis is massive, complicated, and overwhelming. So, it’s often hard to know what we can do about our carbon footprint.
We have partnered with EcoCart to empower the Saffron Pawtique community to make their orders 100% carbon neutral.
For every one of our amazing deliveries, you can now offset the specific carbon footprint with a positive environmental impact! This means the full carbon emissions from producing, manufacturing, and shipping your favorite Saffron Pawtique products to your door would be completely neutralized.
Now you can rest easy knowing that shopping with Saffron Pawtique means you are making a positive impact on the planet.
So now you’ll know when your package arrives at your door, you’ll get something you love and you’ll be proud of the fact that you’re taking a small step towards making a big change in the world.
Frequently asked questions answered below:
What does it mean to offset emissions?
It means that for any carbon emissions released into our atmosphere as a result of manufacturing and shipping items at Saffron Pawtique, we invest in projects that reduce carbon emissions by the same amount. It’s almost like we’re giving the planet an IOU, then immediately paying it back.
How does it work?
Now, each time someone checks the carbon neutral box, we will automatically purchase verified emissions reductions, more commonly known as “offsets” through our friends at EcoCart. These purchases support environmental projects, like wind and solar farms that create clean energy, or protecting trees that would otherwise be cut down so that they can continue to absorb carbon from the air. On top of it, we make sure that these projects are doing some extra good like protecting animals or supporting underserved communities.
Why is this important?
Saffron Pawtique has always been conscious of our impact and actively worked to lighten our carbon footprint. We believe that if we all work together towards positive change, we can make the world a cleaner, healthier place. This is why we try and source as many Eco-Friendly products for you and have them in one place. But we can always do more and by allowing our customers to be carbon neutral when buying with us is one of those added bonuses!
What do you mean carbon neutral?
When we say your orders will be “carbon neutral” (“net zero” is another term you’ll hear), that means that we will eliminate, capture, or otherwise mitigate all of the carbon emissions created from shipping Saffron Pawtique products.
We’ll even give you information about the project your specific donation is supporting, so you know your money is going to the right place.
The Power of Us
No matter how much progress we continue to make on our own footprint and Saffron Pawtique’s footprint the effects of climate change are magnified far beyond us.
The only way we can truly begin to reverse the effects of climate change are if everyone does their part.
What can you do?
- First, focus on the energy efficiency of your home. Efficiency is also the easiest way to save money. Program your thermostat. Check in with your own utility and see if they offer rebates on LED light bulbs, efficient appliances, upgraded insulation or other cost-effective upgrades like efficient water fixtures. Ask your utility if they offer a home energy audit.
- If you own a house, installing solar might make financial sense for you. In some cases, you can install solar with no upfront cost while lowering your energy bill each month. In a few areas, you can buy into a community solar array that isn’t even on your property. If solar doesn’t work for your house or you live in an apartment or condo, ask your utility company if they offer a residential green power program. Many do with simple, reasonable terms.
- Find brands with legitimate sustainability initiatives. Whether it’s with carbon neutral products, a sustainable supply chain, recycled materials, or eco-friendly packaging, we should all do our best to limit the carbon footprint of the products we buy.
- Challenge yourself to drive less and bike more. Riding your bike forces you to utilize your own muscle power. You’ll get a workout all while helping the environment. Plus, it requires much less energy to produce a bike than it does to manufacture a car. If you can’t bike to work for whatever reason, take public transportation. It puts less cars on the road, which reduces the amount of exhaust filling the air at once.
- Opt for reusable bottles, bags, and anything else that you usually use once then throw away. If that’s not an option, make sure to properly recycle any plastic, paper, glass or metal that comes into your life.
If we all do our part by changing our daily habits and making sustainable swaps, supporting companies that care about their impact on the Earth, and advocate for the future we deserve, we can effect real change in the world.